• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!

Rag and Kendar brought a couple of good points up tonight in public chat regarding loot:

1.  All dropped gear is shared across settlements, which can be helpful when it is raiders' dropped goodies but quite the opposite when you have dropped your own gear for safe-keeping and someone unwittingly liberates it at their own settlement.  Could a distinction be made here?

2.  An icon or some other way of indicating loot on the travel maps would be a big help when you have misplaced your own gear and in keeping Naerath free of Junk.  Recycle for your children's future!!

Regarding loot from raiders, if the goal was to make this drops visible, it probably will still go unnoticed because the raiders often appear in random sides of the map, often far by the edges.

To find anything the only way is to walk straight over the squares, nothing is seen from passing nearby.

As for the icon, it occurs to me that the backpack icon of the explorer area already exists for this very purpose, so perhaps can be reused.

I will think about possible ways of allowing to find loot remotely, but dropping loot on the ground for safe-keeping is not why this functionality is there. :)
Banks are there to store your items (including the ones in your settlements), but items on the ground are never supposed to be permanently safe.

If I implemented both of your suggestions, not only this would transform each settlement and village into one super-bank with the ability to travel between its "container slots" (making the original Bank obsolete and any upgrades to it fairly pointless), but this would also overflow the servers with millions of unwanted and discarded items.
There are thousands of items laying around the realm at any moment in time and without an automated cleanup the game would become unplayable in a matter of weeks (due to tons of loot being stored, processed and considered for display in each sector).
And the functionality of items becoming visible to other players in a while not only adds an extra MMO aspect (additional ways to interact with other players' gaming sessions, reminding you that it's not a single-player RPG :)), but is also a good way of keeping the realm cleared of random loot sooner than in 8 hours (the maximum lifetime of any dropped item in the world).

So I'm all for convenience, but not for using the world as a safe storage; this doesn't make much sense even in terms of realism. :)

• Like 2

I think you have some solid reasoning about the first issue, and realistically it is very much like someone walking around in your settlement and picking things up off the ground - entirely possible, and once they know you set things down and walk away, they'll be back for more.  

From a realistic standpoint, the second request also sounds a bit odd now that I think about it.  Would I really be able to see a pair of gloves laying on the other side of Jade Island, or even from four or five squares away?  Now if there were a mountain of loot that reached fifty feet in the air, that I could see.  I understand realism can't be the only factor, but it is my favorite to think about. ;) 

• Like 1

Ok sold on the cross-turf loot for its purpose is clear.

Originally there wasn't any suggestions, it began with two friendly neighbours having a case of littering :P

What hyperion says is true, loot can't easily be seen afar. 

The raiders ruckus might be more visible than that, but then again it's not really on your turf.

And with raids going on all the time, can't suggest a smoke trail or the like.

I blame the littering on villagers carrying garbage to their backyards :D

• Like 2