• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!

How about attacking the settlement region as a whole instead? On grounds of having a common army.

I can see the points in favour and against fighting within the settlements, there's no doubt however that the sites have high potential for more interaction.

The way i see it, the lands are protected in some way or another, after all, they are sold to the landlords of Naerath.

It could be that there's a certain amount of guards in these regions that protect against the bigger threats of the world.

Naturally, no amount of local armies can stop all the invading incursions all the time, hence you need to build your defenses.

However, the land would be safe from the threat of rogue players for a number of reasons:

Firstly, they know who you are when they let you in, and keep a watchful eye on you.

Secondly, there's the old saying, that even the most powerful wizard can't walk the street throwing fireballs.

If a wizard were to go around nuking things, well, won't last too long being a wizard.

This is why, rather than attacking specific settlements, you'd be rather speaking of attacking the settlement region as a whole.

The logical first step to bring threat to the settlement region is to engage this defending armies made largely of real-state clerks :D

There could be a common area that works much like the towns and areas we already have, working as "gateway" to the nearby lands.

In this place you would be able to enter combat with soldier themed foes and also face threats like towers and spike traps!

Also there's potential for far-fetched future ideas like player run shops (gasp) or faction funded buildings, guild halls or simply neighbour cooperation from the local landlords.

Lots of ideas in this regards, for example, you can reach the pinnacle of transportation and build a two-sided magical gate to either bring war to the world or escape from it.

Or failing that, an airship, but be wary, any world that has no birds and flying monsters is deemed unsafe for air travel.

(there be dragons)

Likewise, it can also become a place for marketplace, what with all the junk and food stuff being thrown every day and all?

Scarce goods like timber that new players ask a lot could be found in here as long as some land owner makes it available.

Again, this is on grounds of having more interaction between the players that have settlements.

Now for the blights and boons of attacking a settlement region ,  landlords would earn bonuses and penalties accordingly to the amount of war being brought to their doors.

Say, if you build an embassy you can send aid in exchange of benefits like reduced shop prices or something.

If you build barracks you'll be helping the overall defense of the region, and benefit from increased local protection.

Conversely, if the region is losing often, there could be a small penalty to reputation and happiness, and general unrest.

There could be new issues arising in the court of justice regarding pillage and lack of proper security.

And more importantly, you'll face increased risk of being raided in your own settlement.

Lots of other ideas may apply, like spies, train spies and they may smuggle resources from other settlements.

This won't be directly stealing from the warehouses, because of the aforementioned region armies, but rather be collecting materials straight off the quarries, farms and other sources, to be secretly shipped away to other lands.

All in all, be it the settlement region or the actual settlements, it seems an interesting feature to have if you deem it possible.

• Like 2

That is quite a serious development (a large expansion pack, I'd say :)), but I do like your ideas, Rag! Thank you for sharing!

I'll reserve a spot for this in my task list and will have a think about possible ways to implement something alone these lines.
Can't promise any dates though, as this really is a major new feature (and I've promised so much already to Hyperion alone)... :)

• Like 1

Wrote that to see if there could be some some common ground since you guys were split between the 'no pvp in settlements' and the 'nuclear hot dogs and whatnot'.

Ofc this would be big enough to be its own thing, be it simple or complex as you'd see fit.

In a simple form it could take just a town/dungeon area and a few buildings, but that might not be enough to fill everyones war bloodlusts.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 11:47 AM, Dan said:

That is quite a serious development (a large expansion pack, I'd say :)), but I do like your ideas, Rag! Thank you for sharing!

I'll reserve a spot for this in my task list and will have a think about possible ways to implement something alone these lines.
Can't promise any dates though, as this really is a major new feature (and I've promised so much already to Hyperion alone)... :)

I like her ideas too!   She thinks outside the box. :)  I didn't really want a way to go steal things from other players, it just feels rather weird having a fully functional settlement that runs almost without input from me.   Aside from rearranging people there isn't anything left for me to do there, so I started wondering what would happen once settlements started interacting.  I'm sure it is just we're-done-already? shock, and I'll come to appreciate the lack of attention my slavage labor needs very soon. 

And... guilty as charged. :$   A lot of suggestions are made because I really enjoyed thinking them up, but I don't think Dan will like them (settlement PvP, for example).  Normally my expectation is for them to be given no more than a courtesy reply, because that is all most devteams would give.  I need to remember where I am and tone down my *suggestive* qualities, sorry boss!  :D 

On 6/23/2017 at 1:13 AM, Rag said:

Secondly, there's the old saying, that even the most powerful wizard can't walk the street throwing fireballs.

If a wizard were to go around nuking things, well, won't last too long being a wizard.

I love this saying!!!!!