• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!
Hyperion

More Muscles = Bigger Chests

Domovich came up with a suggestion that I think is absolutely wonderful, if perhaps difficult to implement: chests in Exploration Mode that can only be opened by multiple people working in conjunction!

Essentially, all parties would have to open their lock within a certain time of the other person(s) in order for the chest to open.  As a reward for this, I would like to suggest rewards dynamically generated based on the strongest base attribute of the chestbreakers, if possible - each player gets 2 to 5 pieces of gear that are geared towards their build (light armour and bows for dex-based, etc.). 

• Like 1

Ooh, that is interesting indeed!

Ironically, the "difficult" bit is the generation of items for a particular character. :)
The thing is, I always planned chests to be independent sources of categorized loot to motivate exploration: if you find a statically positioned chest that always generates longbows you can remember its position and recommend it to your friend Wayfinder. At the same time you know that somewhere is a chest that drops the exact type of items you're looking for. This way everyone keeps travelling and exploring.
The alternative you describe makes all chests equally useful, so there really is no point travelling to the furthest corners of the map as there is no difference in chest contents - everything's tailored for yourself right on the spot. :) 

I do like the group lock thing!
Definitely adding it to my list. ;) 

• Like 2

The exploration incentive makes a lot of sense, I'm probably just pouting because I haven't found a wand/bow chest yet.  Pouting aside, though, I'm excited to hear that this won't be too hard implement... shall I look for it along with our settlements' manor houses? ;)

Speaking of which, if you ever want suggestions on how to weaponize settlements for PvP(vE?), I'm full of ideas. First off: Magically Nuclear Hot Dog Stands!  :D

3 hours ago, Hyperion said:

Speaking of which, if you ever want suggestions on how to weaponize settlements for PvP(vE?), I'm full of ideas. First off: Magically Nuclear Hot Dog Stands!  :D

Haha, that sounds awesome. :)
I am constantly revisiting the idea of "weaponzing" settlements, but we have to be extremely careful and cautious with such features: right now settlements are a counterweight to all our PvP-based game mechanics, which constitutes a large part of the game. Shrines, crafting location takeover, faction wars - all these features are currently built on "player rivalry" with a possibility of defeat (losing the ability to teleport, craft, gain double experience etc.).

Settlements are the only safe haven which is completely unaffected by PvP, which I think makes them very attractive to those who just don't want to engage in all the faction conflicts and plotting (and still have the ability to craft in peace). :)
So adding the ability to attack settlements of other players would be a bit harsh (at least not based on the concept of taking something away from others or restricting a specific feature), but I'm not against any clever alternatives, so please share if you have any ideas. ;)

3 hours ago, Hyperion said:

The exploration incentive makes a lot of sense, I'm probably just pouting because I haven't found a wand/bow chest yet.  Pouting aside, though, I'm excited to hear that this won't be too hard implement... shall I look for it along with our settlements' manor houses? ;)

Yes, sorry, I know that Glimmering Forest doesn't have many types of chests, but only because I was planning to add more exploration regions with other chest varieties. :) 
So much to do! * sigh *

Anyway, you will be the first to know once I get a chance to work on either the new chest mechanics, new exploration regions or personal manors! :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan said:

Settlements are the only safe haven which is completely unaffected by PvP, which I think makes them very attractive to those who just don't want to engage in all the faction conflicts and plotting (and still have the ability to craft in peace). :)

That is quite a good point.  I can easily see myself being one of the people that want to craft in peace. :) I'd originally thought a Heroes of Olympus obstacle course-style map with the option once a day to close your borders, meaning for the next 24 hours you can either participate in PvP or keep your Settlement safe.  I'll put my little grey cells to work and let you know if I think of anything good. ;)

2 hours ago, Dan said:

So much to do! * sigh *

I'm amazed at how much you accomplish already!  I know I certainly couldn't keep up the pace you run.  I'll take your last post as a positive nonconfirmation regarding wand chests in  Glimmering, meant to encourage exploration by intrepid Incantrixes. :D

• Like 1