Sign in to follow this  
fiona spear

Turn based?

Is this game turn based as advertised?  It doesn't seem to be.  The combat goes too fast for me to usefully do anything.  Searching the forum it seems that it used to be turn based but was changed?

Hi Fiona,

That's correct, Flamefrost started off as fully turn-based, but ironically we received too many complaints that the game's just too slow and that turn-based mechanics doesn't work well in player groups: someone stepping away from keyboard (or simply thinking too long during their round) in group combat was forcing all other participants to wait and this was deemed frustratingly inconvenient.

Which is why the combat mechanics got changed, but there are still some ads that need to be updated or removed out of circulation.
My apologies for misleading information on some of our banners! :)

On a side-note though, I am open to any suggestions on how to improve our current combat and make it more enjoyable! ;) 

• Like 4

Simple solution: a toggle. A single tickbox somewhere.

I would very much prefer the turn-based combat, personally. Currently the system feels very clunky, movement is erratic and turns pass at unpredictable intervals. Visually, it looks unpleasantly stuttery, and mechanically I miss out on a lot of potential movement and damage because the game is too laggy to register my clicks in time before the next turn automatically starts. This puts an unfair advantage towards the AI. I like hard games, but it feels unfair coupled with occasional UI bugs such as an attack icon getting stuck to the cursor and you accidentally un-selecting your target and then panicking because your character refuses to attack while the AI wails on them (happened to me just now).

In addition to this, skills which require movement or planning feel completely unusable to me. I see things like laying traps and teleporting as a Wayfarer and can't imagine how I would actually have the chance to use them in combat. Enemies are upon you before you have a chance to even get your bearings, let alone fiddle around with tile-targetted special abilities while they surround and beat on you with every passing second.

Turn-based, I can imagine having a lot more fun with the combat. I would only switch to the auto-mode in easy fights that I want to grind through and not think too much. It's the 'no brains, no tactics' option. But turn-based mode would give you time to think, strategize, and plan ahead.

Those are my 2c. I think the solution is very simple and probably easy to implement, but I'm no coder. :)

Edited by Artifish
More detail

Thanks for your feedback, Artifish!

It's not exactly "easy" to implement due to the fact that combats are MMO-focused and other players can join your battles (and having an ability to pause someone else's game remotely is... well, not ideal. :)  Epecially in a PvP scenario where this feature would be abused to annoy the opponent!).

However, I did think about a similar solution too and at some point in the future I am planning to implement a "single-player mode", where you would have the classic turn-based combat system (available as a toggle) against NPCs, but no other players would be able to join your battles.
Still, this would require a fair bit of development to allow our AI function in two different modes in parallel (some players fighting as a group in real-time, while someone else doing the "single-player mode" in the same location).

It is on my radar though! ;) 

• Like 2

Maybe in that case, if someone joined your battle (presumably you can disallow/block this? I'm still a new player and haven't tried it yet) then if you were using 'strategy' mode it would add a 30-second timer, after which a turn passes automatically if not all players have submitted their moves. It sort of feels like the current system works this way, except the timer is like 1 second, which is too quick IMO. So perhaps even a lengthening of this duration would be a good interim solution.

Glad to hear it's on the development radar, in any case! I'm sure whatever solution you find will improve the current situation. I really love the overall feel of this game.

Edited by Artifish
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Artifish said:

I really love the overall feel of this game.

Thank you, really glad to hear that! :) 

The 30 second timer is *exactly* what we've had when Flamefrost launched, by the way. :)
However, because most players who are actively engaged in combat didn't need 30 seconds to finish all moves, there was a lot of negative feedback related to others stepping away "for tea", abusing this feature on purpose to make PvP battles last longer or just not acting "quick enough" for someone's liking.
So unfortunately, 30 second timer doesn't fully work. :) 

Anyway, I'll keep you posted about any changes I make in this aspect! ;) 

• Like 3