• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!

Lore Questions

Subtitled: Fyr-Related Q&A with Dan the Dragon Man

This thread is created specifically for lore questions relating to the world of Fyr, which is where Flamefrost: Legacy is set. Please scroll through and enjoy.  If you have a question, feel free to add it!  But please, if your question relates to game mechanics instead of lore, post it in the sister thread of the appropriate name.  Dan will reply as time permits. :D

• Like 2

Okay, first up: What is Naerath? Do other Fyrians know about it, or is it like the Bermuda Triangle? Why is it so cold there?  How ancient are the civilisations there?

Next up, could we have some general information on Fyr itself, please?

• Like 2

Yes, Fyrians do know about Naerath, which to them is like North Pole to us. And that is why most of them don't care about its existence or disregard that place as a "holiday destination" (many are still unaware that there is something other than ice on Naerath).
It is, in fact, the northernmost point of Fyr and travelling further North past Wyvern Bay (if you survived such a trip through the Sea of Frozen Blades) would have eventually landed you onto a much warmer continent on the other side of the globe.
It's like sailing north of Greenland past the North Pole and ending up somewhere in Russia. :) 

The most ancient civilizations *alive* on Naerath are undoubtedly dragons and elves, thanks to whom there is some life and warmth on the continent (remember the Eye of Naerath story? ;)).
However, with at least 60% of the continent consisting of ice there are plenty of much older things buried underground, preserved frozen and awaiting to be discovered by an inquisitive archaeology scholar one day. :)

• Like 2

O:Doh! Thanks Dan! You even indirectly answered my next question, which was going to be whether Fyr was flat. I was kinda hoping you would say yes. :(

Speaking of the Eye of Naerath, did you change the blurbs on the loading screens? The pictures look the same, but the narration seems more verbose.  Okay, I'll be back once I reprioritize my list!

• Like 2

In regard to the world of Fyr itself, the planet consists of a large number of islands and several "Australia-sized" continents, the largest of which is the so called "Fyr-Tremia" (loosely translated as "Three Kingdoms").

One of these kingdoms, located in the middle of the continent, is a classic medieval-looking home of the human race: its merchants, naval trade and the capital of Fyr-Tejjan were referenced a few times in different parts of Flamefrost.
Apart from ships, Fyr-Tejjan doesn't have a single "theme" and is known for many things, including its huge guild of magic and lore archives.

The second kingdom, located north or Fyr-Tejjan, is named Kerthennon (also the name of its lonely capital and the only city in this region). 
It is a natural phenomenon appearing as endless plains of white and purple marble: the white citadel of Kerthennon resides on an almost mirror-like surface of white stone with nothing but silvery mountains standing miles away on the horizon.
Kerthennon is a home to the largest temple of Arkh (in fact, it would be correct to say that this gigantic city *is* one huge temple to Arkh) and is known for its elite Paladin order - "Keepers of the Universal Balance".
"Fyrian armour" that can be found in Flamefrost actually references armaments crafted by these paladins of Kerthennon: with its distinctive and surprisingly durable purple-ish marble plates forged into the metal these unique items haven't been reproduced by anyone else so far.
Another reference to Fyrian marble can be found in your settlements: Arkh's Chapel is a typical marble structure like the chapels of Kerthennon.

And lastly, the Elven kingdom of Elmethil, located south of Fyr-Tejjan, consists of lush green forests and huge ancient trees, hiding a myriad of Elven settlements in their branches.

There are lots of interesting places on the planet of Fyr and I would love to describe each and every of them, but... let's leave a bit of mystery. :) 
Who knows, one of these kingdoms or continents may appear as a Flamefrost expansion one day. ;) 

• Like 3

Okay, there are some awesome names in Naerath.  Some of my favorites are Naerath, Glimmering Forest, Edge of Despair and Silvertear Peninsula (not sure if I got that last one right).  Could you provide some background information on the names?

Edited by Hyperion
  • Like 2

I was in a hurry with my last post, but I wanted to say how amazing that information was.  I want to be an archaeologist now just so I can accidentally unleash an ancient horror on Fyr ! :D

And as for Kerthennon.  I cannot begin to type how cool that is.  It. Is. Awesome.  Thanks for all the wonderful info, Dan! 

• Like 5

Most important question: is there a sentient, parasitic creature on Fyr? (I am working on an alt that will focus more on the roleplay aspect of the game, this would be a convenient excuse for some of its peculiarities.) Think Dax on Deep Space Nine.

What are the political arrangements on Naerath? Is it like colonial America, where each city owes allegiance to a 'foreign' power?

Incidentally, if you *happened* to be working on an archaeologist class, would you PM me? :D

Edited by Hyperion
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 10:43 PM, Hyperion said:

The Tutorial Got Me Thinking...

Speaking of which, what is the tutorial referring to when it says "War is Coming"?  Are faction wars meant here?