Weyah

Lockpicking skill and Glimmering Forest

Greetings fellow FFL players !

Just wanted to post on lockpicking real quick to let everyone know anyone can gain this skill ! Any class ! Any faction !

You just need to go to Glimmering Forest Exploration area and find one of many chests, then try your skill at lockpicking.

Once you have done this you will have "learned" lockpicking and can apply a skill point. 

Once applying a skill point, lockpicking will level up with experience earned as you play game normally.

The more you try though, the better you get !

Glimmering Forest can be found when you pull up your map and choose "regions" on your tabs at the bottom of your map.

It is near Tul' Zarren and has a magic door that will take you to the exploration area.

There are chests scattered throughout the area and green highlighted masses (for lack of a better word) where you can gain experience by clicking on them. There are 3 levels of chests, level 3 being the toughest but those chests may contain epic legendary items ! There is also lockpicking gear that can be gained by killing monster throughout Naerath so be sure to check your loot! This gear will allow you to remove pins from pesky hard to pick chests making it easier to "commandeer" the treasure within ! ;)

Glimmering Forest is a fun place to muck about in ! You can actually hide in shadows till monsters leave the area if you find yourself unprepared to do battle. Monsters are based on your level so don't worry about them being too tough to handle. But also know that bears and wolves travel in packs so you may have to kill large mobs. 

Beware Glimmerfade ! He is a boss that is determined to keep his treasure from the hands of adventurers and will summon minions to try to prevent you from gaining his loot ! He is tough, so stock up on food and potions you craft or buy to keep your health and mana up ! 

Don't forget to look for the graveyard where you can throw your morals out the window and do a little grave digging to see what was buried with the.......er......um.....inhabitants of the graves. *dramatic spooky music*

All in all Glimmering Forest is a great place to explore and a good place to earn experience and gain gear that you won't find anywhere else ! 

Hope this answers some of the questions that I have been asked in chats.

Happy hunting everyone !

00000.jpg

000.jpg

0000.jpg

• Like 4

Amazing guide, Weyah! Thank you!

P.S. What you're referring to as "masses" are actually old humanoid corpses. :) 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dan said:

Amazing guide, Weyah! Thank you!

P.S. What you're referring to as "masses" are actually old humanoid corpses. :) 

EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!! I thought they looked like dead people but didn't want to assume. "I see dead people" hahahahaha

Thanks Dan ! I just wanted to put something together because I had a couple of questions in chat and it had not crossed my mind (shame on me) to make a post on lockpicking and Glimmering Forest. It was a quick one, but so happy you liked it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Krute said:

Thank you so much for this guide!

Thank YOU ! So glad it helped ! I am just sorry that I did not make one sooner. 

And welcome to game Krute ! Hope to see you and chat in game !

• Like 2

Also wanted to add that lock picking and nose picking are not similar at all...but elvses are natural born nose pickers...especially the red headed ones.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LaGator said:

Also wanted to add that lock picking and nose picking are not similar at all...but elvses are natural born nose pickers...especially the red headed ones.

*squints at LaGator*

• Like 2

On 4/21/2017 at 5:34 AM, LaGator said:

I have a new nickname to suggest for Weyah...'Mean Ole Redhead!'

GASPS.....Please see "off topic" post......muah ha hahahahaha

• Like 3

I may be daft, but I don't understand how to pick locks. Click on these pins until they are all raised. I don't get it.

Welcome to Naerath, Dizzyg!!

In a few words.... The goal is to get all the tumblers on the lock in the 'up' position.  Each time you click, the tumbler you clicked will switch positions - if it was up, it goes down; if it was down, it goes up.  The same thing happens to each tumbler placed orthogonally (left, right, up, down) to the tumbler you just clicked. So, if you click the middle tumbler and the one immediately to the left was up, you just toggled it down.  This means each click is toggling anywhere from three to five tumblers, depending on where you clicked.

The Exception to the Rule: There is a critical counter on the left side. Each time you click a new pin, it goes down one. When it reaches one it will turn green and something different will happen: instead of toggling pins, the entire row that you click next will be swapped with the row of tumblers beneath it.  This is incredibly frustrating at first, but can be used to make lock-opening much easier. Once I get to a normal computer next week, I'll make a concerted effort to create a tutorial with pictures illustrating just that. In the meantime, let me know if I was unclear here or can explain anything else!