Dan

Cooking: Introduction

6) Cooking (difficulty: medium)
Sub-skill: N/A. Requires a campfire, similar to Alchemy.

Cooking allows to create food, which provides healing or restoration over time, as well as a skill bonus.

Cooking uses meat or vegetables as a base, defining whether the effect is healing (meat) or restoration (vegetables).
Meat is obtained from slain animals, vegetables can be grown in any garden by using the Herbalism skill.
Effects are taken from herbs, grown on public farms.

As a catalyst this skill uses the cooking oil, potentially improving all of the resulting effects (depends on the cooking oil quality).
Cooking oil can be obtained in general stores, taverns and food supply shops.

Just use any untreated log (obtained from using the "Cut Wood" ability in any woodcutting camp) as a usable item (e.g. "Use on yourself" menu item in the inventory or via the action bar, like any potion or spell).

Campfires can only be started outside of the cities though!

• Like 1

Ok, to level cooking FAST this is the method I use. buy 300 potatoes, 300 salt grass, and 300 cheap cooking oil. This cost less than 10k per cycle. Make a campfire. Cook using those 3 ingredients, with the improvement pushed all the way up. Maximum Quanity. You end up with 100 tries. You should level several times per cycle. You can do 3 cycles per inventory, rinse and repeat. You will very shortly get good enough to get 100% success. You may level it up to 10 times your character level. 

Since the update to cooking I will add another thing, to maximize your experience, if you have 70 plat to use, reset all your free skill points to cooking before grinding it, it will vastly improve your experience per attempt. When you are at max, reset them back to where they were.

To add to the potato strategy, use a settlement to make the process go significantly faster.

Build a garden (potatoes and grass) and a tavern (oil) right next to each other, and bring some decent wood so you dont have to build new fires every few minutes.

Leveling will go extremely quickly this way!

You can use someone else's settlement if you can't build a garden.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fiona Phoebe Crane said:

Could also build an alchemy shack to have a constant fire, no?

I've never tried an alchemy shack so I don't know how that works, but the idea is to minimize walking as much as possible.

I hotkeyed my wood (phraaaasing!) and made a fire 1 sector away from the garden whenever the old one went out.

I got 120k experience from each fire before it went out by doing 4 cycles of cooking 300 dishes.

so you can get several million exp per hour.

Edited by Marissa

Just now, Marissa said:

I've never tried an alchemy shack so I don't know how that works, but the idea is to minimize walking as much as possible.

Well walking an extra tile or two to an alchemy shack is prolly faster for most people than gathering up a log, so net savings in time.  Plus you can save inv room not having logs taking up a spot.

8 minutes ago, Fiona Phoebe Crane said:

Well walking an extra tile or two to an alchemy shack is prolly faster for most people than gathering up a log, so net savings in time.  Plus you can save inv room not having logs taking up a spot.

interesting, I was only doing cycles of 300 which was definitely slower. You can do up to 420, although the 420 isn't great because the extra 20 each round might be a slight time waste.

400 each round would take up 60 inventory spots (20x20 potatoes, 20x20 grass, 20x20 oil), so you'd have 4 empty spots in your inventory for wood. 

please tell me if i'm wrong.

what i noticed from settlement garden is that, settlers (who works there) can't sell stuff higher than your herblore level.

for ex : if your herblore is lvl 200, settler will sell anything within their level range up to lvl 20 stuff

the annoying thing is, settler's level can go as high as your current level, so, if your workers are way above your herblore level, they will only sell potato & sweet potato (since both are lvl 0 stuff) and a tiny chance for them to sell legendary cooking/brewing mats.

(observed from lvl 52 character level with 245+ herblore and 12 level 50+ workers)

Edited by Robyn Banks
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dizzyg said:

What is the most important stat for becoming a master chef? Str, Int or Dex?

Strength, Intellect and Dexterity have no bearing on your skills - you can be good at cooking or alchemy, or smithing, or anything else, regardless of what build your toon has.  The only factors are the skills (for cooking, you need to up your herbalism skill to collect things and your cooking skill to make the food) and your origin choice when you made your character (at least one origin has a slight cooking bonus).  In order to up your skills, you can: put on gear with a cooking skill bonus (every three points from gear are equal to one normal skill point); assign the skill points you receive after a level up; and, most importantly, practice!

• Like 3