• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Faction Wars: PvPvE

Faction Wars: the PvPvE System

As of today, a new system exists in the realm, allowing for the guilds to initiate Faction Wars against their enemy factions.

Purpose of the system is to unite factions and have a way to "settle disputes", as defeating a faction in a war prevents it from demolishing shrines and gaining regional dominance bonuses (in fact, all influence of a faction is disabled for 24 hours after it's been defeated).

The concept is quite simple: after a war begins, all of the participating factions receive a group of NPC defenders and a boss in their capitals.
Difficulty of these creatures is dynamic (they are "level-less"), meaning that they should be equally challenging for all levels (although of course, having a better gear on higher levels gives you a certain advantage).
This has been done to allow any character level to join the fight and attempt to slay/defend the faction boss.
After the boss is slain, its faction is considered to have lost the war.

If your faction's boss is under attack, it is recommended to travel to his/her sector and join the defending side to fight alongside the boss against the attacking players.
When a war is active, all faction capitals temporarily become a "Free-for-All" PvP area (instead of the usual "Safe / Sanctuary"), so anything goes!

For a faction to participate in an ongoing war (even if it's your faction that has been attacked), at least one guild must officially join the struggle.
After that, all of the faction members without a guild will be able to take part in the war too.

Please note: after initiating a war, it will take 24 hours for all the NPC forces to be deployed and for the war to actually begin.
This is done to allow all factions and guilds to find out about the war and make the necessary preparations in advance, as well as to avoid enemy factions waiting for all your faction members to leave the game prior to starting a war against the unprotected faction commanders.

If your faction loses the war, it will be unable to start new wars, but it will be able to join wars started by its allies.
Accordingly, a defeated faction of Fatekeepers can still join a war if it's started by the Hammerforge Legion.

Please let me know if something doesn't make sense or if you have any questions!

P.S. Faction defender NPCs and the boss do not drop any items, only gold.

P.P.S. It's worth mentioning that as I have no guild of players to try out the dynamic boss difficulty, at the moment slaying the boss can be either too easy or nearly impossible; that is not the final version of the system and I hope for your feedback to help me adjust everything properly. ;) 

40 minutes ago, sakulnebur said:

Is this a bug?

I did notice something weird with the joining mechanics today; will look into it first thing in the morning!

On a separate, but related subject:

I have observed the Faction Wars that took place today and noticed that the dynamic level challenge was a bit... "underwhelming".
The NPCs are clearly incapable of defending themselves without any player assistance (even against 1 low-level attacker), and there was no PvP today (either because the Gatecrashers couldn't join their own boss in combat, or because there were no White Wyrms or the Legioneers to protect their capitals).

So to summarize: I've ramped up the dynamic creature difficulty a bit, and increased their numbers.
Remember, this is supposed to be a tough challenge, not a 20 minute quest (as the effects of losing a faction war are disastrous for a faction).

I will continue my observation (and hope for some feedback from you too), and will introduce a war-delay timer tomorrow.
It was a bit unfair to watch as the Gatecrashers wipe out the White Wyrm Tribe without anyone from the tribe even knowing about it. :)

Inability to join the defending side to protect your boss has now been fixed.

Please let me know if the issue reappears again.

One issue of balance - the ease of which the cities can be accessed.

Some, like the Gatecrashers and Fatekeepers, are easy to find. 

Hammersong in comparison ... not so much.

5 hours ago, AsyD-Rabbit said:

One issue of balance - the ease of which the cities can be accessed.

Some, like the Gatecrashers and Fatekeepers, are easy to find. 

Hammersong in comparison ... not so much.

There's actually a caravan or a ship to all faction cities from Northgate (except for the Silverclaw Grove), so I'm getting a feeling that it's not that bad as you're describing. :)

Additionally, you can (and should, really :)) build shrines close to all the key places for faster travel.
It's really a matter of preparation, which is what I'd expect if I was planning a Faction War.

If you start a war first and then begin asking how to get to the Thulharmar's Furnace (for example), you are not doing it right. :)

30 minutes ago, AsyD-Rabbit said:

What was updated? 

I did summarize what was updated in my last post. :)

"Faction wars now have a 24 hours delay prior to beginning."

I've also included an FYI in the original post saying that an ongoing faction war transforms the faction capital into a "Free-for-All" PvP zone for the duration of the war.

Oh, I thought there'd be more ^_^

And does that apply even to undeclared factions? I had the Fatekeepers commander visible to me whilst we were warring against either the Wyrms or Hammersong.

17 minutes ago, AsyD-Rabbit said:

And does that apply even to undeclared factions? I had the Fatekeepers commander visible to me whilst we were warring against either the Wyrms or Hammersong.

No, Factions that haven't join the war remain invisible.
If you saw the Fatekeeper commander, this is most likely an indicator that the Fatekeepers joined the war while it was active. ;)