• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!

Hi all,

You may have heard rumours about me planning to temporarily switch off Flamefrost in order to build a new and enhanced version that will be relaunched in the future.
These rumours are indeed true: we've planned a similar relaunch in the past with "Flamefrost 2.0" when we had the idea to replace all tactical battles with real-time exploration mode.
Unfortunately, I never got to finishing that development as it was just too time-demanding and other priorities (or games) came first.

I've made a decision to turn things around this time and recruited some help: our new team is currently working on building a brand new "Domination: Earth" (in case you don't know what I am talking about it is another game published by us, Epic Dragon: https://domination.earth) that is planned to be relaunched in a similar fashion in December 2018.
But once they're done with DE I want to do a complete visual overhaul of Flamefrost to make sure it is a decent competition to the other games and can attract a wider audience of players.
It will be a mammoth task and take a long time to complete, but at least this way Flamefrost stands a chance of surviving and growing instead of just dwindling away and running solely for the existing fans & veterans of it.

Unfortunately, it does mean that I need to bring the game offline as our budget is insufficient to both run Flamefrost and have a game development team work on the project at the same time.

We do not have an exact date yet of when Flamefrost will be taken offline, but it will happen sometime in August and I will post again closer to when it's about to happen.

Just to confirm: the rebuild is aimed at visual elements only and no game mechanics is planned to change in a drastic manner, so all of your currently accumulated progress and characters will remain.
If for some reason we do decide to change the underlying game elements I will do my best to transition your characters/settlements/possessions into the new game format as closely as possible and issue the appropriate rewards for any losses (although I certainly hope there will be none :)).

I know that this news will come as unpleasant surprise to most of you and I apologize for any inconvenience caused, but I also hope for your understanding of our situation: I truly hope that this is the only way forward.

As always, please post or message me if you have any questions or concerns. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sealed 1

And I'll be here when it's all said and done to run events in a new "Welcome and welcome back" schedule with prizes and awards based on progress and attendance. (Dan permitting, he's stingy sometimes ;))

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

relaunch huh? :|

just a personal opinion as a player :

hopefully it will come with better quest (Naerath lore included). and better yet, with main quest - sub quest categories.

but if we're talking about me, in game like this i usually prefer grinding over quest for level up. since i don't really like my story time interrupted simply because i'm not strong enough to do a certain quest (and battles can get quite distracting most of the time). so i did just that. when i get the gist of stuff and reached considerably high level, i started doing quests. then it finally hit me, this game doesn't have a main story :o. or maybe it does but i just don't get it (?). it just look like a bunch of villagers asking you favors and stuff. while the game has many interesting gameplays (and roleplays), a missing story to hold them together just doesn't sit well with me. as a result, i started my never-ending glimmering forest run for fun ( Robyn it all the way!! ) and got bored of it. fast.

but luckily the Wardens are nice people, so i keep coming back from time to time. kinda sad now that the game will go offline temporarily tho. i really hope it will come back soon ( and better ). it has been a really fun experience. thank you so very much. :) 

• Like 3

I know Dan has lore written, though I don't know what his plans for implementation are. Maybe it's something we can look into headed into the break, as I am still in an abundance of free time.

• Like 3

On 31/07/2018 at 10:11 PM, Tanzer said:

I know Dan has lore written, though I don't know what his plans for implementation are. Maybe it's something we can look into headed into the break, as I am still in an abundance of free time.

That is correct, the main problem though is our insanely complicated database structure; it's really hard for someone to learn in order to add non-random quests and dialogues.
I've tried it with a bunch of people, everyone gave up in the end with next to no results. :)

I also started working on a "visual editor" for this as suggested by Tanzer, but once again, simplifying our data tree and presenting it on a user interface turned out to be a greater challenge than anticipated (it would take a few months to finish it).
However, I would love to add a main story into Flamefrost, that has always been in my task list.

As for the shutdown: I believe we can estimate it to happen on Saturday the 11th of August, but I'll post again if anything changes / gets postponed!

• Like 4

I'd like to bring this suggestion to the fore in order to make the re-open more newbie friendly:

I have heard in chat over the years that it can be very discouraging for the more lightly staffed factions to place new shrines, especially as low level players who can't se most enemy shrines due to level restrictions.

P.S.   If there is any chance I could get into studying the database structure without being a hassle to you and your new devs, I would love the chance to add some new content when the reopen happens.  "Insanely complicated" is my MO, so I would love a nice, long chance to investigate this, but don't want to take up your already too-little time. :) 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hyperion said:

P.S.   If there is any chance I could get into studying the database structure without being a hassle to you and your new devs, I would love the chance to add some new content when the reopen happens.  "Insanely complicated" is my MO, so I would love a nice, long chance to investigate this, but don't want to take up your already too-little time. :) 

No problem at all; do you remember the item templates example I posted?

If you still aren't utterly discouraged by that ugly table I can provide you with access to our production database(s) (there's more than one :)) if you'd like to try learning by looking at the actual working thing.
I may not be able to provide you with a write access straight away, as I don't add anything directly to production database myself (we have the in-game "GM commands" for that) and there are security policies preventing that, but if any of you guys are really interested in adding new content and not afraid of the enormous mess I've made over the years there are several options available:

1) You can send new content in an Excel / Google Sheets / CSV file format after you familiarize yourself with the database structure using an Excel-like software for MySQL (e.g. Navicat, it has a free trial!).

2) If you know MySQL and have worked with databases before, you can setup a local MySQL server on your computer, import a copy of our database there and send me updated exports later.

3) I can look into launching a small test realm that will not support battles or 3D character rendering (that's the most expensive bit :)), but will allow to try out quests, items and other stuff in travel mode. In a realm like that I'd be happy to provide you a full write access to break whatever your heart desires, but I need to check if this option is at all possible as the "semi-free" servers on the cloud are really rubbish and may not have enough RAM to run Flamefrost. Even if they do the game will run extremely slow, so this may not be the best approach (I would prefer for us to start with options 1/2 initially).

@Tanzer my database access offer extends to you too automatically. ;)

• Like 2

On 8/2/2018 at 7:54 AM, Dan said:

As for the shutdown: I believe we can estimate it to happen on Saturday the 11th of August, but I'll post again if anything changes / gets postponed!

one question. will the forum be down too?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robyn Banks said:

one question. will the forum be down too?

Nope, the forum is going to remain, otherwise I have no place for all my announcements (other than Facebook that no one reads :)).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dan said:

If you still aren't utterly discouraged by that ugly table I can provide you with access to our production database(s) (there's more than one :)) if you'd like to try learning by looking at the actual working thing.

I'm absolutely not discouraged!  Option one sounds best at the moment as I'm utilising a laptop with 4 gigs of RAM, but option 2 can probably be worked out if that would be better.  Currently Libreoffice Base is installed, do you have any objections to my using that?

• Like 2

On 04/08/2018 at 5:00 AM, Hyperion said:

I'm absolutely not discouraged!  Option one sounds best at the moment as I'm utilising a laptop with 4 gigs of RAM, but option 2 can probably be worked out if that would be better.  Currently Libreoffice Base is installed, do you have any objections to my using that?

No objections, but it may be tricky to convert all the data back and forth constantly!

Would you be interested in trying to install a complete replica of our database on your laptop from the source code? ;)

Development version of MySQL doesn't require too much RAM (you can actually limit it yourself via settings), but combined with a GUI it's almost as good as Libreoffice or Excel (but with the ability to represent all in-game data accurately and easily export it to FF production).

Please give it a go and if that doesn't work we'll think of something else. ;)

• Like 1

Will do, thank you!  The way you've put it, this sounds much better - I'll be able to see everything together now, and play with the numbers without worrying about breaking anything on the real database. :)

• Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 7:54 AM, Dan said:

As for the shutdown: I believe we can estimate it to happen on Saturday the 11th of August, but I'll post again if anything changes / gets postponed

Is there a time (GMT -0:00) set for this yet?

• Like 2

On 8/2/2018 at 8:54 AM, Dan said:

Do we all have one more time to fight each other?

For old time sake?

:(:(:(

Bawling my eyes out............................................

Sorry guys, I was unable to reach my computer for the entire weekend (bonus time for everyone :))!

The servers are now offline.

20 hours ago, Weyah said:

Bawling my eyes out............................................

Same here!

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Same here!

I will miss everyone terribly.....................................................

On 8/3/2018 at 4:31 PM, Dan said:

Nope, the forum is going to remain, otherwise I have no place for all my announcements (other than Facebook that no one reads :)).

Ahem.....some people do 

So glad forums stay up....I can still harass everyone with my incessant yammering....HUZZAH ! :x

At least we can all keep in touch ! 

Is it normal for someone to miss a game to the point of mildly crying everyday? Asking for a friend.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Weyah said:

Is it normal for someone to miss a game to the point of mildly crying everyday? Asking for a friend.........

Well, I do miss Flamefrost already to a similar extent even though I still have it running on my test realm where it's being developed... :) So I'm inclined to believe that it's all about the community. ;)

• Like 2

First, I get adopted by the two best game parents ever! Then, they poke Dan and make me a Game Warden, the Wicked Warden of the West. Then, momma bear gets sick and disappears. When she finally comes back, the game goes away. ALL THE DRAMA!

Seriously though, I do miss you guys. I know it's going to be a while until we get to play again.

Hurricane Florence is keeping me quite busy at the moment. It's quite crazy how much damage was done by Flo. She either needs to get a prescription for Midol or go back to her insurance gig. lol

• Like 3