• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Enchanting: Introduction

8) Enchanting (difficulty: hard)
Sub-skill: mining, conjuration.

Skill allowing to imbue any non-magical item with special properties and effects.

Enchanting uses any non-enchanted item as a base (e.g. a sword created in blacksmithing), Focus Crystal as a catalyst (obtained via Mining) and charged Property Container gems as effects.
As an optional alternative to the charged Property Gems you can use Runes, created in the Enchanting Circles.

Unlike Property Containers, Runes have a pre-defined effect (e.g. 5% chance for a weapon to cause fiery explosion) that cannot be disenchanted and transferred to another item again.
It is also impossible to apply more than 2 runes to any item, regardless of your skill.

The number of Property Containers or Runes that can be applied to depends on your skill (1 effect per 100 skill points) and the base item's quality:

Junk: 1 item
Common: 2 item
Uncommon: 3 item
Rare: 4 item
Legendary: 5 item

Unlike catalysts in some other crafts, Focus Crystals do not grant any bonuses and are simply required to fuel and finish the enchantment successfully.
Greater quality items require more focus crystals to be enchanted, and the base item level has to be below or equal to the Focus Crystal's level.

• Like 2

As of today, the process of rune creation in the Enchanting Circles has been adjusted: it is no longer an automatic resource collection (as with the gem conjuration in the Enchanted Lakes), but a manual component transformation, as with the ore smelting for Blacksmithing.

Rune creation no longer relies on the Conjuration skill (which is now used only to obtain gems from the lakes) and is linked to the main Enchanting skill itself (i.e. by creating new runes you will gain experience points for the Enchanting).

The runes themselves will be based on a couple of components, primarily a charcoal (obtained from any mine via the Mining skill) and an empty gem from an Enchanted Lake.

Please let me know if something doesn't make sense or if you have any questions!

• Like 2

Can items only have one + skill bonus? Twice now I've lost gems by trying to put both weapon skill and shadow offense on them..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanzer said:

Can items only have one + skill bonus? Twice now I've lost gems by trying to put both weapon skill and shadow offense on them..

Yes indeed, I have completely forgotten to mention that, sorry!
Each weapon can have up to 3 attribute adjusting properties, 2 runes and 1 skill bonus.

It's likely that this will be revised in the future and the system's flexibility will be improved, but for now that is a limitation, unfortunately.

• Like 2

deep sadness.. i lost a few really good bonuses on that..

Edit*, maybe prevent the craft because it will consume materials that give no benefit..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tanzer said:

Edit*, maybe prevent the craft because it will consume materials that give no benefit..

Sounds reasonable, will add that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanzer said:

deep sadness.. i lost a few really good bonuses on that..

Could you open up the enchanting just a tad, I'm using level 35 gems and it wont allow me to enchant a 33.. your entire loot system functions off 5 level brackets, working down

• Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 9:22 AM, Dan said:

As of today, the process of rune creation in the Enchanting Circles has been adjusted: it is no longer an automatic resource collection (as with the gem conjuration in the Enchanted Lakes), but a manual component transformation, as with the ore smelting for Blacksmithing.

Rune creation no longer relies on the Conjuration skill (which is now used only to obtain gems from the lakes) and is linked to the main Enchanting skill itself (i.e. by creating new runes you will gain experience points for the Enchanting).

The runes themselves will be based on a couple of components, primarily a charcoal (obtained from any mine via the Mining skill) and an empty gem from an Enchanted Lake.

Please let me know if something doesn't make sense or if you have any questions!

Hey Mr. D, I hope you are doing well. I noticed that creating runes gives a conjuration skill not  an enchanting skill when you create them. Is this an error or an intent?  If the intent is for enchanting skill ups, I just letting you know that it is not , a conjuration skill.

-Solerus

• Like 1

Thanks, Solerus!

Rune Creation has been adjusted and will use the "Enchanting" skill from now on. ;) 

• Like 1

On 01/28/2016 at 7:58 PM, Dan said:

Skill allowing to imbue any non-magical item with special properties and effects.

Enchanting uses any non-enchanted item as a base (e.g. a sword created in blacksmithing), Focus Crystal as a catalyst (obtained via Mining) and charged Property Container gems as effects.

DISCLAIMER: What follows is from my limited experience and subject to Dan's approval.

For those who (like me) had frustration with getting charged effects to show up in the Enchantment screen, it is important to note the following:

Your enchantment container (i.e. a rune or charged gem) must match or be worse than the level of the item you are trying to enchant.

For charged gems, this can be a little confusing.  The items' level system in the game runs on a tiered structure, where every tier is equal to five levels.  This means a level eleven is, for enchantment purposes, considered equal to a level fifteen; a level ten, however, is considered one tier below a level eleven.  This means that a level fifteen gem can be used to enchant a level eleven item, since they are in the same tier, but not a level ten item.

Speaking practically, this means you need to be careful which gems you are using to charge a specific boost.  You can use a level fifty legendary gem to store a buff from a level thirteen item when you Disenchant it, but you will not be able to transfer that buff to another level thirteen item if the need arises (e.g. for a guild mate).

You can also only place one (+ skill) boost on a given item.  BEWARE!  The Enchantment screen will currently let you try to enchant as many (+ skill) boosts onto a single item as you want, but only one of them will stick.   

Edited by Hyperion
  • Like 3

On 1/28/2016 at 8:58 PM, Dan said:

As an optional alternative to the charged Property Gems you can use Runes, created in the Enchanting Circles.

Unlike Property Containers, Runes have a pre-defined effect (e.g. 5% chance for a weapon to cause fiery explosion) that cannot be disenchanted and transferred to another item again.
It is also impossible to apply more than 2 runes to any item, regardless of your skill.

The number of Property Containers or Runes that can be applied to depends on your skill (1 effect per 100 skill points) and the base item's quality:

Junk: 1 item
Common: 2 item
Uncommon: 3 item
Rare: 4 item
Legendary: 5 item

Unlike catalysts in some other crafts, Focus Crystals do not grant any bonuses and are simply required to fuel and finish the enchantment successfully.
Greater quality items require more focus crystals to be enchanted, and the base item level has to be below or equal to the Focus Crystal's level.

Hyperion ! I am well pleased you took the time to write this ! 

So proud of you as a guildie and a friend ! Well done Sir ! 

• Like 2

Thank you, Weyah!  I wasn't sure if what I was explaining was self-evident to other people, but I figured if I had trouble, someone else would, too... I posted something else in the "Ideas and Suggestions" subthread that you might like, as well. xD

• Like 3