• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!
Sign in to follow this  
Mafioso

Cloth Vindie's

I created a cloth Vindicator with the idea he/she would be a martial artist/monk. Using unarmed combat, the toon would 'Bruce Lee' his/her way to victory. I played the character marginally, allowing him to xp and level by way of settlement and when I reached level 50, I equipped him decently enough but I discovered something. I went into Glimmer Forrest (more than several) and found that even with a healer and potions, I could not survive the large group encounters as the cloth armor did not mitigate enough physical damage for me to survive winning the contest.

However, I also tried Goblin Caves and the contrast was dramatic! The magic damage mitigation was good enough to allow me to defeat the first group of goblin casters. I did this twice and have concluded that a Cloth Vindie has merit in GT and likely in the planes as well....

For those of you that already knew this, thank you now for not commenting in the negative :)

using drop items to try and mitigate physical damage with cloth will always fall short, as enemies can easily outscale the resistance, but players can craft far better effectiveness. 

try protective stance, instead of nothing/berserker. 

if test was with protective stance, i find that interesting. and will mess with it later this week 

I've conducted further tests.
in each test I used 1 piece of armor, one cloth and one heavy. each had 10,000 armor and 30,000 effectiveness.

the results against physical damage were identical.

the only noticeable difference was in fact the amount of thorns damage the passive "spiked armor) dealt. which was higher with heavy armor.

against magic: with enough armor value, the mitigation becomes equal. meaning in order to reach 95% mitigation against magic, with heavy armor. you would need a total of 8075 armor. which is impossible. as armor values max out at.. 237. with the eventual exception of shields, being double.

cloth merely needs to reach 3600 armor. a reasonable number when factoring in protective stance. which increases armor by more than double.  meaning if you are capped at 95% before protective, you are capped for magic in protective.

regardless of effectiveness and resistance, nothing can reduce the incoming damage beyond 95% it seems. so resistance only exists to make up a partial difference in the heavy armor formula.

I hope this has helped clear things up a bit.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 5:42 PM, Mafioso said:

I created a cloth Vindicator with the idea he/she would be a martial artist/monk. Using unarmed combat, the toon would 'Bruce Lee' his/her way to victory. I played the character marginally, allowing him to xp and level by way of settlement and when I reached level 50, I equipped him decently enough but I discovered something. I went into Glimmer Forrest (more than several) and found that even with a healer and potions, I could not survive the large group encounters as the cloth armor did not mitigate enough physical damage for me to survive winning the contest.

Thaqnks for posting this - it is an eye-opener!  I've always thought that a maxed-out steel skin potion (95% damage reduction) could get anybody through Glimmering Forest, it is interesting to know that this is not the case.

It might be that light armor (leather) would be a good 2nd choice instead of cloth but then the dexterity requirement needed would reduce the Vindies hit points significantly.

Edited by Mafioso