Weyah

NEW CONTEST ! Naerath - the beginning

New Writing Contest

Nearath - The Beginning

Story should be about how your race came to be in Naerath.  

Ideas -

Who was the first of your race?

Were there Gods involved in your race's creation?? 

Was your race made by Dragons?  

Was your race made through Magic?

Were you escaped slaves?  Runaways? Brought over by Pirates ?  Criminals ? 

You get the gist of it :D

Have no more than 1,500 words. Exact word count not necessary, but please make it close.

Judging will depend on how many likes a story gets. So please refrain from liking a story unless it will be your vote.

Comments are fine ;)

The contest will begin on Feb. 19th and end on Feb.  26th - that will give everyone a week to write !

Prizes are -

First Place -100,000 gold and 2 batches of health and mana food made by your truly !  You may pick what mods you would like on your food. ie...Heavy armor, bows, fire resist, etc.  

Gold also supplied by me as well.

Second Place - 50,000 gold and 1 batch of food - mana and health

Third Place - 25,000 gold

ONE entry per player please......Can be a main character or and alt....but not both. And yes.....we have ways of telling if it is an alt and a main character :P

Anyone can participate ! Wardens included this time. Though I would like to suggest that IF a Warden wins, please share ! :x

I included Wardens for this contest because Wardens never get to participate and never have any fun hahahahaha.

Mr. Dragon, sorry Sir, you can not enter because well, you made the game and can make way better food than I can and since you are a tank, food is pretty much a moot point *snortgiggles* Besides, G.O.D.'s don't eat anyway !

Hope everyone has fun and participates since this is my first contest and I will be so veryvery sad if no one does ! :(

If you have any questions please feel free to ask ! Ask on this post though, just in case someone else has the same question !

Thank you !

Let the writing begin !!!! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My brief submission:

Origin Unknown

It is said that the first men came from one man named Adam. What world and where is unknown to me and my kin. My own kin do not recall our beginning or origin, much less the world of our birth. As long lived as my kind are, and as good as we are at passing down our traditions and culture, our beginnings here on Naerath is not certain.

One of the stories told is that our people escaped to here from another world, fleeing some great calamity and using powerful magic’s to open a passage through space and time. When that story is told, my own minds eye can see past images of our people caught up in a maelstrom of chaos with a great crowd fleeing down a road between 2 cities that rest on steep hillsides. The head of the crowds wave their hands and their wands, opening some rift that all pass through. The scene changes and the crowd emerge from the rift, almost as if they are stepping from the ocean onto shore. The new world is Naerath!

Another story tells us certain gods of a far away world caused my ancestors to fall into a deep sleep then stole them away to a new world to be the followers of these certain gods. Another story tells of the All Creator making the first of our kind with loving hands, crafting each of the races; Men from the dust, Dwarves from stone, Elves from plants and the Tul from fire.

The origin of a species, the where we all came from would be important to know because it would tell us why we are here and perhaps to where we are going. We would know our purpose. Without that knowledge, we are like a ship without rudder or sail, drifting through life and time and space with no sense of identity or destination.

The humans say to create your own way, cut your own trail, walk your own path and make your own destiny. The dwarves say little but busy themselves with building, mining and forging and worry little about paths and destinies. The Elves teach the path is already laid and you must find it to walk it, finding your destiny along the way. The Tul believe all the paths and trails lead either to the same end or to nowhere. They think that all destinies end at the same place.

As for me, I care little for the past. I know my destiny and I walk my path. There are more races and each has its story or stories but their past is like my own. As to their future, I know it not, nor do I wish to hear it. What matters most to me now, at this moment is what I can see, touch, taste, smell and feel. I must keep my senses about me and my mind on the world about me for there be Dragons near!

And if there be Dragons near, beware lest you have no destiny except as their next meal! Knowing your past will do you little good if you end up on the inside of such a beast! Be certain, your future then will be as Dragon Scat!

• Like 3

In the beginning, there was chaos. Naerath was a lawless, violent land full of war and death. Ogres battled orcs. Goblins battled golems. Elves battled everything. The Lesser Gods were having fun watching the carnage. Myriul, the ever mischievous, was constantly creating new and different creatures to corrupt the balance of the land. Corinthul was changing the weather to give his creatures a better chance of winning. Immerxil was just an immature brat who delighted in pain. Wyneshia mostly kept to herself, occasionally provoking the others by sending waves of water to drown their creations. Then the Greater Gods decided to take control back over the land they created so long ago. The child-like Lesser Gods had destroyed large swaths of natural resources, leaving some areas completely barren of any life at all.  The twins, Baelathor and Fyriel, were brought in from other lands along with their brother, Merkheen, to help restore the land while the Greater Gods created new life forms to balance the chaos. Arkh directed his wives, Sylthenea and Exalia, to help him populate the land with new creatures. These creatures would have to be molded from the land itself, so that they would be in tune with their Gods.

Arkh himself created the Tul'Rahx. He liked the idea of a muscular and large creature to counter balance the existing ones. He gave them an overactive sense of honor to keep them from getting too wild. Exalia created humans. While not the sturdiest of creatures, they were given an indomitable will to overcome adversity. With the other two already finished, Sylthenea took extra time to create her creature. She wanted a creature with the strength of a Tul'Rahx, the willpower of a human, and the creativity of herself. She created dwarves. Looking over the creatures, Arkh was quite content. He sent the three races out into the land, giving each their own special territory.  He sat back and watched his land become stronger and more neutral. He saw the creatures building shrines to all of the Gods. This pleased him greatly.

One day, a new creature appeared in Naerath. Looking down upon the land, Arkh spotted a Sun Elf.  His ire rising, he demanded to know which of his wives had gone against him. Without much ado, Exalia confessed to creating them. She said she wanted more beauty and grace in the land. Arkh pointed out how this would disturb the balance. She simply shrugged and told him if he wanted balance restored, he could create other new creatures. And the story continues...

• Like 5

AWESOME Dizzy !

YAY Elfsieses !  And naturally Exalia created them :x

So happy that you wrote a story !

This is most excellent !!  So talented Diz !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!!
Both stories are simply great, but I love the FF lore references, @dizzyg! Really well done!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My embarrassing submission, sorry for bad grammar.

It was a couple months back when I first saw her. I was mingling in Hammersong's tavern, still in my pilgrim garment, drinking with some street tears, hearing them talking about stuff. People might find it weird for a Theurge to drink, but men just have issues and choose to drink it away sometimes. I just descended Thunderpeak. I was sent up there to church of Arkh for no reason. Actually, i was sent here and there a lot, from shrine to shrine, church to church, mountain to mountain. My master said, it was to " find a way to better myself ", since i was sent to the monastery as a baby, grown up to be troublemaker, and never graduated from my rebellious phase. Okay, that is probably the reason, but in my defense, some people are troubled if you think they are troubled, and more if you are troubling your way to make that said trouble disappear. Enough of that, I was't trying to tell the story about me. I said i was hearing some street tears-- they cry out rumors of the street for a living, but my attention is fixed to certain girl to the table across mine.

Some girl you can ignore, but if the girl has burn mark covering almost half of her face, drinking alone and looks troubled, you can;t just help but curious. I dropped some coin to the street tears who was still talking, then move to her table only to get glared at. But thanks to that, now i can see her face more clearly. I blame Arkh for that burn marks, she'd be the most beautiful girl alive if it wasn't for that. I wasted hours trying to get her to talk, but all i got is empty glares. Then when she decided she heard enough gibberish, she dropped a gold coin on the table and left the tavern. I blame Arkh again for that cold attitude.

My curiosity didn't end there. I asked the barman about her. Apparently, some guy named Jack hails with her from a distant land on a sinking ship before they part ways in Tul'Zarran. And even Jack didn't know her name, but he did hear whispers of her being a blood-thirsty Incantatrix called Salamander. Barman added that she rarely came to tavern, but has been frequently coming the past week, alone. 

" look, young man, girl like that spells trouble. I appreciate she frequent here and like my ales, but usually she is the last one to leave, and not even drunk. Sometimes she act like she is but I know she's wary about something. Just the other day I heard she left pile of dead bodies in lonely tower near Nhar-tejjan. I'm not saying she's bad, but I think certain groups of people are after her. Who knows? she's probably a daughter to some dead hired sellswords. " Barman stopped for a few seconds, putting down a wooden mug he just wiped.

" Now I know that you're not the type who will listen to what the oldies say. But just leave it at that, and don't get involved. I like you, you wasted a lot of money in just one night at my tavern, I'd like you to come again. ", said the barman while putting another mug down, looking at me with a smile. I dropped a couple more coin on the counter while jokingly said I hate him before I left.

That was the start, since then I've been paying no mind to my moving orders from the shrine and started following the girl. She was still ignoring me and the first sentence I heard from her the next month was " Go away! ". This might sound weird, but I was so happy she replied. Not to mention that it was the first time i heard her voice. In fact, i confessed my love to her right after that, though she only hurled me some fireballs as a rejection instead of simple " No ". But boy, did that stop me?. Now here replies to my never-ending questions are longer. Like " Yes, stop asking. ", " No, you're an Idiot ", or " You're the most annoying person I've ever met. " plus a fireball. She hasn't told me her name yet, though.

Next thing I know is that we were doing quests together. Well, it's more like She was doing a quest, and i was just stalking her. But she didn't tell me to go away anymore at least. Maybe she likes my Mysticism, maybe she thought it's no use to talk to a guy who doesn't listen. Or maybe  people with troubles are just attracted to each other. I called her Sal. Fireballs were hurled, but i caught a glimpse of her smile in the last one. That was before we --she-- accepted our last quest. About sighting of man-eating monster called Harbinger of The Apocalypse in Tower of the Wailing Void near Azure Sea.

And that was two weeks ago.

Now here I am, laying on her lap, on my last breaths. A blade had pierced my chest. It was not the Harbinger's. We killed that nasty bastard just moments ago. What we didn't expect is that a group of assassin were following us. Ambushed us while we were still catching our breath after a close fight with the abomination. We managed to repel all but the last one who almost stabbed her.  In which he failed since i took it with my body. I could see the scowl on his face, just for a split second before Sal sent the guy away with her anger-driven magic blast. I tilted my head a little bit to fix Sal into my view. She was looking up, surrounded by crimson fire, screeching agony. She rushed to me not long after.

" No... no... "

Her voice stutters. She put her hands on my cheeks. I can clearly see fresh burn on her arms. Now i know where she'd gotten all of that burn marks. While I'm happy she did all that for me, never in my life i feel so disappointed in myself to be the one to drive her doing so.

" Sorry... I love you."

I was trying to cheer her up. But that's the only thing i can come up with. My thought is clouded with mixed feeling and pain. My view is starting to fade away. I'm dying and the girl i love is holding me. I can die happy. She wouldn't be so cold to reject me now isn't she?

" Please don't talk, stay with me. ",

She started crying again. Damn, girl. I don't have much time, give me specific answer. Do i get rejected again?

" Your... name ", I coughed. " I never caught your name ", Well, if my life is the price to pay to know her name, that wouldn't be so bad either.

" Sa... ", she gasped for air. " Salma, my name is Salma ", I raised my right hand, wiping her tears. 

" I love you, Salma... ", I'm cursing myself now. I have all the words in dictionary to say, and this is what i picked?. Now my life look like one big, sad, anti-climatic, bad-ending love story. But oh, well. I can't even see her face anymore now. It's just all dark.

" No, please don't go, I love you too. " I can still vividly hear her voice. And that line brought different kind of sting to my chest. Again, I blame Arkh. I started to regret dying now. But there's nothing else I can do. My strength left my hand as it fell from her cheek.

" No, please, I love you, please... " her voice peaked, but sounds so distant now.

" Papa... ", That's not my name. This is getting weird.

" Papa!! "

Yep, I thought I heard that wrong. But I didn't. Now I felt a light slap on my cheek. As I open my eyes, I see a young girl with amber eyes, crying.

" Selene, what's wrong, girl? why are you awake? " As my thoughts are gathered together, I rub my eyes and lazily try to sit. It's still dark outside, and it's raining.

" Thunder... " She said that then hugs my arm. Cute beyond compare. I looked to the side. Salma is still asleep.

" Oh, you poor thing, you can sleep with us tonight ",

I softly lay Selene in the middle and fix the blanket above us three. Maybe Arkh is the God of Justice after all.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Robyn Banks said:

It was a couple months back when I first saw her. I was mingling in Hammersong's tavern, still in my pilgrim garment, drinking with some street tears, hearing them talking about stuff. People might find it weird for a Theurge to drink, but men just have issues and choose to drink it away sometimes. I just descended Thunderpeak. I was sent up there to church of Arkh for no reason. Actually, i was sent here and there a lot, from shrine to shrine, church to church, mountain to mountain. My master said, it was to " find a way to better myself ", since i was sent to the monastery as a baby, grown up to be troublemaker, and never graduated from my rebellious phase. Okay, that is probably the reason, but in my defense, some people are troubled if you think they are troubled, and more if you are troubling your way to make that said trouble disappear. Enough of that, I was't trying to tell the story about me. I said i was hearing some street tears-- they cry out rumors of the street for a living, but my attention is fixed to certain girl to the table across mine.

OMG...this is awesome ! I was bawling my eyes out ! 

Wow...excellent story Robyn ! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Robyn Banks said:

i used to write short stories in high school and college for wall magz, this is actually my first attempt writing it in english :S

Well done ! It is a great story !

• Like 2

A short Boyo Biography:

I answer to my nickname Boyo.

I am just a regular dwarf.

I am the youngest of 6 children.

Thaugrim is the firstborn and the eldest son which means he becomes the patriarch someday when father passes. Thaugrim has the warrior spirit. He believes dwarves are meant to rule the other races because the other races are so erratic and dwarves are so stable. Thaugrim does not hold the other races in very high regard.

Meadris is the next born and he loves to fight as well but he also loves to heal. Meadris is also a great statesman and peacemaker. Meadris would also be the wealthiest in the clan except he gives so much of his money away. He loves helping others. He is both kind and generous.

The third born is a son named Arechemeze but he really prefers to be called Are the Pirate. He wanted to become a pirate so he began to sign everything as Are the Pirate. He is also mortally afraid of speaking in public. Some think Are is ‘touched’ in the mind but he actually plays up that notion. He really likes to surprise people.

Minerva is next and is the eldest sister. She is very strong minded (some say she is out right stubborn) and chooses her own way. She follows a different faction just to show Thaugrim he is not her boss. She is a magic wielder. Next to Meadris, she is the second nicest and kindest.

Keyani is the baby sister but I feel sorry for anyone that treats her that way or calls her such. She is very outgoing and affable but she also a force of nature if you get her mad. Even Thaugrim is careful around his ‘baby sister’. She loves magic and has followed her sister’s path.

Then comes me. My name is Keledain (This is my dwarven name. I never learned my Tul name.) Thaugrim always calls me Boyo so the name stuck. I like both names. I was not born into the family. They adopted me when I was only a few weeks old. The dwarves found me as the only survivor of a rogue dragon attack on my village. They attacked the dragon as it was about to devour me with Thaugrim snatching me away from the beasts claws. He struck the killing blow even though he was not yet an adult. Father claimed me as one of his family and the rest is history.

Since I was Tul by body, I was always bigger than the other dwarf children so growing up had some challenges for me. I also discovered that many of my people’s occupations were not suited to me. But my father, mother and siblings encouraged me to find something that I really liked.

One of my favorite things to do was to explore the forests and to observe animals and to interact with nature. So I spent more and more time exploring the woodlands. One day, I met an Elf. He asked me what I was doing out in the wilderness by myself and I told him of my love of animals and nature. He took a liking to me and offered to teach me about the animals and nature. That is how I became a Wayfinder. My elven mentor is Karza. He said I was the first Dwarven and Tul’Rhax Wayfinder that he knew of. He seemed to find great pride in my accomplishments.

My family is very excited about my choice of profession. And everywhere I go, I make many friends among the elves, humans and Tul’Rhax. Father says I will be the person that brings all the races together to work toward trust and friendship.

I don’t know about all that, though.

I am just a regular dwarf.

I answer to my nickname Boyo.

Keledain, Thaugrims younger brother.

• Like 4

Congoratz to Dizzyg for wining 1st place !!!  HUZZAH !!

2nd place goes to  Robyn Banks !

And 3rd goes to Boyo !

Dizzyg has been given all her prizes and gold.

Will be working on Robyn's and Boyo's today and all will arrive in your mail today or tomorrow morning!

Thank you all for participating and I am looking forward to the next contest !

• Like 2