• Announcements

• Hyperion

WANTED: ROLEPLAY-ERS   09/04/18

A new roleplay section has been added to the forum.  Jump back into Naerath in a whole new way!

**DISCLAIMER**

I do not claim this short guide is good for anything. If you think it is, thank you. If you waste a lot of time lockpicking because of this, it is you who did, not I. If you do not like this disclaimer, that is too bad. I reserve the right to do the absolute minimum provided by the forum rules (and the laws of the internet), up to and including absolutely nothing.

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of Mr. D, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

WARNING: I can not be held responsible for the abuse of lockpicking, as apparently, @Weyah's post has guided me to Glimmering Forest.

*NOTICE*

Thank You for Noticing This.

*Another Notice*

High Lockpicking Skill Level is absolutely unnecessary to unlock a chest.

ANOTHER WARNING: Lockpicking chests might cause a chest pain. As it will, 90% of the time, give you items you can't use and/or salvage (yet).

•  Lockpicking How-To

Lockpicking is about raising all the pins available to grab the content inside a chest. Clicking a pin will raise (or lower) it along with all the adjacent pins. We are given a total of 5 critical moves divided into 4 Free Moves, and 1 Row Swapping Move (we will get into this later). 

In the example below, if you click the red marked pin, it will be raised along with the green marked ones, but the two-blue-marked-pins will be lowered and 1 free move is used (see example 2). Keep this in mind as you roll deeper into lockpicking.

5a26721040c91_lockplus1.png.b679b0c801113aa515f53326ac257423.png5a2672126674a_lockplus2.png.a58a6c8f5be65f4f92df327b665f27b0.png 

• A " Ready " level 1 chest

As we encounter more chests, there will be a lot of level 1 chests that only need one or two clicks to open. Try to recognize some :

5a266b83c580a_L1ready-1.jpg.c6efbf75a4518c87a942570595220f07.jpg5a266b9b79a63_L1ready-2.jpg.975ca3720a4e59ccefce98b466b0b760.jpg5a266b77d11c6_L1-ready3.png.9f79b3d4d9e16c4a88f0f146cdd62d76.png(clicking order is not necessary)

please note that level 1 chest has 3x3 pin slots, don't be tricked if the same pattern appear on different row/column.

• Row Swapping Move

To some of us, the green critical move might look like it randomly move a pin (or more) into different row/column. THIS IS FALSE.

Green Move will swap the row you click with the one below it. Meaning if you clicked the last row (bottom), the entire row will be swapped with the first one (top). This can potentially mess your routine and prolong the time spent unlocking a chest. But also can be used to your advantage :

5a266bac08222_L3-greencritical1.png.7051ce96f502e6de285bf705f5944b02.png5a266bba5f484_l3-greencritical2.png.e4a364525f517fe5b0654c48c9f48ef7.png

• Saving Moves (How to Fully utilize your free and row swapping moves)

One might say; the pins won't always be in the right spot prior to entering the green move.

well, that's lockpicking is all about. you lead the pins to where you want the finishing move executed. If the pins are all over the place, don't be disheartened. Most of level 3 chest can't be opened within a single green move. And most of them can't even be opened without utilizing green move

But the bright side is, we can do a " saving move " to reduce the time spent.

Saving Move is clicking on a slot to lower some pins (and waste a turn) where all of them can be raised back again right away.

Let's say you've found a good level 3 chest, have raised most of the pins, and is left with few more free turn and a couple of " almost completed " pins :

5a266bc9ccbc4_L3-saving1.png.2380432aea6cd9cdb7bbd250fa0f9863.png

• click on Row 1 Column 5 to lower three pins (not necessarily here, preferably somewhere far from your soon-to-be-swapped rows)
  • click on the same slot to raise them back (unless you're in the green move, clicking the slot you've just clicked won't consume anymore move)

5a266c278fdc4_L3-saving2.png.23138f6eb8461be877d2d5302ff3b5e5.png

• click on R 1 - C 4 to lower 4 pins, waste another move, and enter the row swapping move. 

5a26720667010_L3-saving3.png.4503a3d7af9989c7c524f1fdbf261e09.png

• now that we've entered green move. click on Row 4 to swap it with Row 5

5a267209dcd1e_L3-saving4.png.40b5784e8596cf2c5d4cc86abf874aef.png

• Release the Kraken.

5a26720e4971a_L3-saving5.png.b90950622103c8770b271c50863577f5.png

Lockpicking will need some time (and quite some headache) to get used to. But when you've got the gist of it, it's pretty fun.

finale.thumb.png.9c7ccfe0772323cadcae2828cfd7ec5a.png

<edit : 2 Feb 2018>

A gif for @Weyah . Literally. (and pardon the lag)

2018-02-02_09-58-36.gif.2a1b6d1296d681d78178feb978dc17c7.gif

Post Script :

• Level 1 chest (the ugly wooden one) may contains a (or some) Junk, Common or Uncommon gear(s).
  • Level 1 chest (with silver lining) always contain a (or some) Uncommon gear(s).
  • Level 2 chest may contain a (only or some) Rare gear(s) and/or a (only or some) Common/Junk gear(s).
  • Level 3 chest always contain a (or some) Legendary gear(s).

Edited by Robyn Banks
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That is really awesome! Thank you, Robyn!

Despite my intimate knowledge of the lockpicking system I still enjoyed reading this; a very smart guide! :) 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dan said:

That is really awesome! Thank you, Robyn!

Despite my intimate knowledge of the lockpicking system I still enjoyed reading this; a very smart guide! :) 

no, thank YOU ^^

did i get anything wrong, tho?

• Like 1

Yer didn't mention 'dwarven chest opening' methods! Like throwing the chest off a cliff. Or bashing it with the head of a Tul. Or me favorite, picking the lock with an elf ear!

• Like 1

Wonderfully done, Robyn!  The image provided of an incredibly violet inventory was a good touch.  I don't see any misinformation being circulated - and I learned how to distinguish between Level 1 chests worth picking and ones that aren't. ;)  It bears mentioning that most chests are lazy, and don't like to move around - if you find a level 3 chest somewhere and crack it, chances are that chest will respawn a while later in the exact same spot.

• Like 3

i usually open 6 ( lvl 3 ) chests in glimmering forest. the other 2 chest requires teleporting which is kind of a bother. (and there's those tree glitches too - the most annoying part).

then quick-escape, sell/salvage. repeat.

• Like 3

Cheesy git hahahaha

Thanks for the brilliant "for a child" tutorial :P

Maybe now I can actually open the darn things 

I dislike chests...never could figure them out

I know, I know ........It is easy...for all of YOU lol

I just kill stuff and make food, and arrows, and other nifty things

I am just not thief material   

:x

• Like 3

I don't understand any of this! It just looks like you're randomly clicking on pins, which is what I've been doing without any results.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Okay. I take back everything I said. Now that I've been practicing with your techniques, I am starting to understand. I still can't open every chest, but I'm getting better. What do you do when there is only 1 pin down?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dizzyg said:

Okay. I take back everything I said. Now that I've been practicing with your techniques, I am starting to understand. I still can't open every chest, but I'm getting better. What do you do when there is only 1 pin down?

good, good... welcome to the outlaw club.

and 1 pin down? what level chest?

• Haha 1

sorry if i get it wrong, did you mean like these?

it really depends on where the pin is (also how big the chest is). then just utilize the green move to lead the pin to a slot where you can " CREATE " a pattern you recognize.

1.gif.626797b7e09b6ef30a696909c7c9c047.gif

notice how i clicked the lower right slot twice to do a saving move.

(funny why i call it a saving move where a move is actually wasted. lol. well, the idea is to save all current available pattern in it's place (while wasting a turn) to prepare for green move)

2.gif.3587e2be7047affbc9ca3d065f86fcf9.gif

imo, level 3 chest is the easiest to open. it has many pin slots, allowing less mistake.

level 1 chests are a pain in the butt. I did say most of them are ready to open within a single turn, but they need delicate move counting. and if you messed that up, you could end up wasting longer time than opening level 3 chests.

Edited by Robyn Banks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr.D, we need multi select on salvage (like the red arrow down thingy in vendor)

i got tired clicking in salvage, so i just sell all of them, now ended up with almost 3m gold D:

• Like 2