Sign in to follow this  
Cajunfried2016

About settlements

Settlements are one of the many features in this game and having 1 or more can be a great asset to any player. However, the cost for even the cheapest settlement is usually outside new players (levels 1-5) or even low level players (levels 6-15) ability to purchase. This is not to say you cannot buy a settlement but it is to suggest perhaps waiting until you can afford it.

When you discover that hiring henchmen is very helpful to you early on (level 5 is a good place to start), you will see the cost is high for you at your level. And then you discover that when the henchmen die in battle, you have an additional cost to rezz them (this is automatic) or else they go back to their station and wait for you to hire them again.

Add to that the cost to repair your gear after a defeat and suddenly, the cost of a new settlement seems outside of your means. But lets say you have navigated all of these obstacles and are at the point of being able to buy a settlement. Then you discover a new cost, the one of construction. And another new cost appears soon after, the cost of resources. It can be very frustrating to want to build or need to build a construction only to have insufficient resources and or gold to initiate the project.

This is why I advise waiting until you are nearer to level 20 or maybe even higher because by then, you will have established a cash flow and will know enough of the game to know what you need in the settlement.

Make no mistake, once you start construction of houses and apartments and any other construction that houses settlers, they will start appearing. Now you will meet the newest expense and that is Settlers! Settlers want to be happy and that requires food, water, and defense. Additionally, settlers draw attention from raiders. Raiders attack your settlement and steal your resources and kill your settlers.

The end result of having a well established settlement is the 2 level 3 Silver Dragon Guilds you build there will give you hourly experience points. These points raise your combat skills, gathering skills and crafting skills. It also levels your settlers who can now be hired by you to become your henchmen. Or you can leave them in your settlement to defeat raiders.

When we higher level players advise low level players to wait on buying a settlement, we are not telling you you cannot or should not purchase the settlement. We are just suggesting that you wait until you can afford it. And should there be some low level player that tells you not to listen to our advise because they think we are trying to harm you with our advise, do me a favor and tell them to pound sand!

• Like 4

Thanks, @Cajunfried2016, these are all very good points! :)

Just going to add my personal two cents to this guide:
Settlers are indeed the key consumer for all your resources, so having those early on in the game may become quite challenging!
Your settlement will begin attracting new population after a source of water and at least one dwelling is built.
So if you aren't ready for company make sure to avoid placing these buildings on lower levels!

However, one good way to prepare for being a "resourceful" Lord (or Lady :)) is to ensure you have some levels in Salvage before the real construction begins.
Salvage Station is the first building you can place after acquiring a piece of land, and it is perfectly safe to have one around: it does not generate any "threat" and will not provoke attacks from raiders.
At the same time, bringing all unwanted junk loot into it for processing is a good exercise for any level character: not only you will accumulate a number of starting resources (it may be more difficult to start your expansion from a completely blank sheet; a head start resource-wise will come in handy!), you will be able to salvage higher quality items at the moment when this becomes really important (i.e. when your population begins demanding attention). :)

On a side note, please remember that any deaths remove 7% of your carried gold, so if you are saving up for a settlement (regardless of your level) make sure to regularly deposit your savings into a bank! ;) 

• Like 4

Speaking o settlements, when do I get me gold settlement for the non-dwarf people using discriminatory language against me and my kind? And none o the bars have made any adjustments yet for us to be able to climb into them dern stools or have tables set to accommodate our heights.

• Like 4